Your chronic stomach issues, bloating, mental fogginess, and skin issues are not normal! Leaky gut or intestinal permeability is a newly researched condition that doctors often look over. Unfortunately, this syndrome is precisely how its name describes it: the intestinal lining has cracks and large holes, letting bacteria and other toxins into our gut, causing inflammation.fibromyalgia, mental health problems, and arthritis.
What causes a leaky gut? Researchers believe that leaky gut is induced by our Standard American Diet (SAD). The greasy meats, processed sugars, and heavy fats inflame the gut causing this disruption. In addition, other factors are reported to disrupt our intestinal linings, such as heavy alcohol use and genetics. Those who have undergone radiation or chemotherapy in the past can also be prone to this condition.
Our Holistic Wholeness Nutritional Team will uncover what is causing this inflammation and disruption of gut flora. We will then reintroduce foods back into your system to see what exactly is triggering your leaky gut. Each person is different in terms of which foods bother them, but the most common foods that cause intestinal permeability are:
- Gluten Products: Bread, pasta, baked goods, oats, barley, rye, cereal
- Alcohol Products: Leaky gut is very common in those who drink excessive amounts of alcohol. Patients should replace their evening beverages with flavored water or low sugar kombucha.
- Processed and Cured Meats: Bacon, deli meat, hot dogs, and fast food meats are culprits of inflammation in the body.
- Dairy Products: Milk, ice cream, cheese, and yogurt react poorly with many individuals gut bacteria
- Processed Foods: Chips, sweets, fast foods, sugary drinks/ juices, sauces, and salad dressings are just a few of the many processed foods available to us today. However, you don’t have to give up your favorite foods completely! There are many healthy alternatives to your favorite foods, such as healthy banana pancakes and air-fried potato chips!
- Refined Oils: These are the oils that have been treated with chemicals such as acid or have been bleached. Examples of these oils include vegetable, canola, peanut, and soybean. Instead, opt for cooking with extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, or avocado oil!
When your diet is clean, you will start to see an improved quality of life. Our team will work with you beyond your nutritional needs to get your body back to normal. We conduct functional testing which helps identify the things causing your leaky gut. We will evaluate other health factors, such as stress, sleep, and exercise, to help determine these issues’ root cause. Schedule a consultation with us today to get started on your path to a healthy gut again!